Timing Room (Muvakkithane)

Timing Room (Muvakkithane)

One of the extant 29 timing rooms built in Ottoman period - out of 38 in total - for providing prayer time to public is in Hagia Sophia. The structure had been built by Fossatti Brothers in 1853 who managed to repair Hagia Sophia in the period of Sultan Abdülmecid (1839 - 1861). It is one of the most magnificent buildings among its type of timing rooms.

The building has a square layout and meshed walls made of face stone. The entrance is on the north façade. There is a round table made of monolithic marble with marble legs in the middle of the timing room. The windows are managed to large in order have the clock placed over the table for pendulum adjustment and the other clocks inside visible for everybody outside.

Some of the legged big clocks located in the timing room during mosque period are preserved in the storage of the museum. The building is currently used as a Museum Office.
Go to top